Feb 8, 2015

I have been a mother for a year

To be honest, I can believe that Cecelia is a year old. People have been asking me all week "can you believe Cecelia is one?" and I really can. What I can't believe is that I've been a mother for a year. I know that sounds crazy - let me back up.
I have watched Cecelia grow from nothing. For longer than a year now I have watched her grow from a microscopic seed, into a little girl. She has changed so much in the last year, and gone through so many adventures. Some of her highlights this year were learning to eat, to sleep, to open her eyes, to smile, to giggle, to sit up, to roll over, to eat solid foods, to communicate with sign language, to reach for people and to prefer certain people and things, to make connections, to crawl, to pull herself up, to tease and to play. In so many ways I can't believe she's only one. The first year of a child's life is an incredible journey, and they do it so naturally.
What I can't believe is that it's already been a year since I laid in that hospital bed and Eric and I fell so in love with that little girl. There is no feeling in the world like it, and I'm not even sure we will experience it the same way ever again. I know we will love all of our children the same - but do we now know what to expect? Becoming a parent for the first time has got to be an experience unlike any other, and it has given me a whole new perspective on life, on my own parents, and on my Heavenly Parents. I can't believe it's already been a year of that.
I have enjoyed being a mother, maybe more than anything else that I've ever done before. I fell into the roll immediately (although never perfectly) and have never looked back. One thing I love so much about motherhood is it's ability to shape and change all other aspects of my life - for the better - without me even noticing. I was worried about balancing life as a mother, and as all of the other things that I've enjoyed being in my life prior to. I now realise that the lessons learned and sacrifices made as a mother have changed me and helped me to become a better wife, a better daughter, a better sister, a better friend, a better teacher, and a better learner. It has taught me to give, to share, to love, to serve, to beg, to pray, to feel, to care and to endure in ways that nothing else ever could. I can't believe it's only been a year of that.
And so Cecelia Kate, on your first birthday I want you to know more than anything else how much I have enjoyed being your mother. I want you to know how much I have loved to serve and teach you all these days, and how I look forward to our years ahead. I want you to know that all that I am and I do and I give is because of my love for you. You will not understand that love until you get to experience it for yourself, but I hope that you have felt it each day this year, and will for each day of the rest of your life.
The song I sing to Cecelia each night before bed: 
You are my honeybunch, sugar plum, pumpie umpy umpkin
You're my sweetie pie. 
You're my cupy cake, gumdrop snookums snookums
You're the apple of my eye. 
And I love you so, and I want you to know
That I'll always be right here, 
And I love to sing sweet songs to you, 
because you are so dear.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...